As you all have no doubt noticed over the years, I love highlighting the best science books every year via the various end of year lists that newspapers, web sites, etc. publish. I've done it so far in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
And here we are in 2015!
As in previous years, my definition of "science books" is pretty inclusive, including books on technology, engineering, nature, the environment, science policy, history & philosophy of science, geek culture and whatever else seems to be relevant in my opinion.
- Adventures in Human Being by Gavin Francis
- Life's Greatest Secret: The Race to Crack the Genetic Code by Matthew Cobb
- On the Move: A Life by Oliver Sacks
- Atmosphere of Hope: Solutions to the Climate Crisis by Tim Flannery
- The Planet Remade: How Geoengineering Could Change the World by Oliver Morton
- Coastlines: The Story of Our Shore by Patrick Barkham
- Find A Fallen Star : Regine Petersen by Natasha Christia, Regine Petersen
- Undiscovered Owls: A Sound Approach Guide by Robb Magnus
- Inglorious: Conflict in the Uplands by Mark Avery
- What Nature Does For Britain by Tony Juniper
- The Moth Snowstorm: Nature and Joy by Michael McCarthy
- H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald
And check out my previous 2015 lists here!
Many of the lists I use are sourced via the Largehearted Boy master list.
(Astute readers will notice that I kind of petered out on this project a couple of years ago and never got around to the end of year summary since then. Before loosing steam, I ended up featuring dozens and dozens of lists, virtually every list I could find that had science books on it. While it was kind of cool to be so comprehensive, not to mention that it gave the summary posts a certain statistical weight, it was also way more work than I had really envisioned way back in 2008 or so when I started doing this. As a result, I'm only going to highlight particularly large or noteworthy lists this year and forgo any kind of end of year summary. Basically, all the fun but not so much of the drudgery.)