Every year for the last bunch of years I’ve been linking to and posting all the “year’s best sciencey books” lists that I can find around the web in various media outlets.
From the beginning it’s been a pretty popular service so I’m happy to continue it. The previous posts for all the 2013 lists are here.
This time it's Booklist Online Editors’ Choice: Adult Books, 2013.
- Catching Cancer: The Quest for Its Viral & Bacterial Causes by Claudia Cornwall
- In the Kingdom of the Sick: A Social History of Chronic Illness in America by Laurie Edwards
- Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach
- Imperial Dreams: Tracking the Imperial Woodpecker through the Wild Sierra Madre by Tim Gallagher
- Radiation: What It Is, What You Need to Know by Robert Peter Gale and Eric Lax
- Time Reborn: From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe by Lee Smolin
- Brainwashed: The Seductive Appeal of Mindless Neuroscience by Sally Satel and Scott O. Lilienfeld
- Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink
I'm always looking for recommendations and notifications of book lists as they appear in various media outlets. If you see one that I haven't covered, please let me know at jdupuis at yorku dot ca or in the comments.
And if you wish to support my humble list-making efforts, run on over to Amazon, take a look at Quiet or Steve Jobs or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks or maybe even something else from the today's list.