Every year for the last bunch of years I’ve been linking to and posting all the “year’s best sciencey books” lists that I can find around the web in various media outlets.
From the beginning it’s been a pretty popular service so I’m happy to continue it. The previous posts for all the 2013 lists are here.
This time it's Brian Pickings: The 13 Best Science and Technology Books of 2013, The 13 Best Biographies, Memoirs, and History Books of 2013, The 13 Best Psychology and Philosophy Books of 2013, The Best Photography Books of 2013, Cats, Dogs, and the Human Condition: The Year’s Best Books about Pets and Animals, The 13 Best Art and Design Books of 2013.
- This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works edited by John Brockman
- You Are Stardust by Elin Kelsey, Soyeon Kim
- On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes by Alexandra Horowitz
- Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking at People Looking at Animals in America by Jon Mooallem
- Thinking In Numbers: On Life, Love, Meaning, and Math by Daniel Tammet
- Smarter Than You Think: How Technology is Changing Our Minds for the Better by Clive Thompson
- Cosmic Apprentice: Dispatches from the Edges of Science by Dorion Sagan
- Social: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Connect by Matthew D. Lieberman
- Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach
- Wonders of the Solar System by Brian Cox, Andrew Cohen
- Save Our Science: How to Inspire a New Generation of Scientists by Ainissa Ramirez
- Oliver Byrne. Six Books of Euclid edited by Werner Oechslin
- Does My Goldfish Know Who I Am?: Big Questions and Instant Answers by Gemma Elwin Harris
- Darwin: A Graphic Biography by Eugene Byrne, Simon Gurr
- Turing: Pioneer of the Information Age by Jack Copeland
- Time Warped: Unlocking the Mysteries of Time Perception by Claudia Hammond
- Thinking: The New Science of Decision-Making, Problem-Solving, and Prediction edited by John Brockma
- This Is Mars by Alfred McEwen, Francis Rocard, Nicolas Mangold, Xavier Barral
- The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter than You Think by Brian Hare, Vanessa Woods
- Animal Wise: The Thoughts and Emotions of Our Fellow Creatures by Virginia Morell
- Fritz Kahn by Uta and Thilo von Debschitz
- The Best American Infographics 2013 by Gareth Cook
I'm always looking for recommendations and notifications of book lists as they appear in various media outlets. If you see one that I haven't covered, please let me know at jdupuis at yorku dot ca or in the comments.
And if you wish to support my humble list-making efforts, run on over to Amazon, take a look at Quiet or Steve Jobs or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks or maybe even something else from the today's list.