It's been a while since I posted one of these lists, that's for sure. A couple of weeks ago someone on Twitter posted a link to the Tool version of led Zeppelin's No Quarter. "No that's cool!" I thought to myself. Wouldn't it be fun to add that to a bunch of other great cover versions and do a Music Monday post. And here we go.
All of this brings up the endless debate on cover versions: close copy as homage or total re-invention? I like both so I won't take sides. And a few of each are included below.
- No Quarter. A Led Zeppelin song covered by Tool.
- Young Man Blues. A Mose Allison song covered by The Who.
- Hand of Doom. A Black Sabbath song covered by Slayer.
- Mustang Sally. A Mack Rice song made famous by Wilson Pickett here covered by Buddy Guy.
- Tumbling Dice. A Rolling Stones song covered by Johnny Copeland.
- 30 Days in the Hole. A Humble Pie song covered by Gov't Mule. (OK, six songs, but who's going to complain?)
What are some of your favourite cover versions of songs?
(Sadly, I can't remember who it was that tweeted the YouTube video that got all this started. If it was you, please feel free to identify yourself in the comments.)