Another list for your reading, gift giving and collection development pleasure.
FWIW, this tends to be the most important list for me every year in terms of collection development.
- The Vertical Farm: The New Urban Agriculture by Despommier, Dickson
- Not a Chimp: The Hunt for the Genes That Make Us Human by Taylor, Jeremy
- Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Costs of Civilization by Wells, Spencer
- The Grand and Bold Thing: An Extraordinary New Map of the Universe Ushering in a New Era of Discovery by Finkbeiner, Ann
- The Price of Altruism: George Price and the Search for the Origins of Kindness by Harman, Oren
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Skloot, Rebecca
- Drawing the Map of Life: Inside the Human Genome Project by McElheny, Victor K.
- The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Kean, Sam
- The Grand Design: New Answers to the Ultimate Questions of Life by Hawking, Stephen & Leonard Mlodinow
- Once Before Time: A Whole Story of the Universe by Bojowald, Martin
- How To Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious Quest To Fix the Earth's Climate by Goodell, Jeff
- The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff Is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health--and a Vision for Change by Leonard, Annie
- Ecological Rift: Capitalism's War on Earth by Foster, John Bellamy & others
- The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine by Collins, Francis S.
- The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Mukherjee, Siddhartha
- The Youth Pill: Scientists at the Brink of an Anti-Aging Revolution by Stipp, David
- The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason, and the Laws of Nature by Ferris, Timothy
- Proofiness: The Dark Side of Mathematical Deception by Seife, Charles
- The Great Penguin Rescue: 40,000 Penguins, a Devastating Oil Spill, and the Inspiring Story of the World's Largest Animal Rescue by DeNapoli, Dyan
- The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by Vaillant, John
- Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food by Greenberg, Paul
- The Watchman's Rattle: Thinking Our Way Out of Extinction by Costa, Rebecca
- The End of Discovery: Are We Approaching the Boundaries of the Knowable? by Stannard, Russell
- Present at Creation: The Story of CERN and the Large Hadron Collider by Aczel, Amir
- Massive: The Missing Particle That Sparked the Greatest Hunt in Science by Sample, Ian
- Dance of the Photons: From Einstein to Quantum Teleportation by Zeilinger, Anton
- How Pleasure Works: The New Science of Why We Like What We Like by Bloom, Paul
- Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain by Damasio, Antonio
- The World in 2050: Four Forces Shaping Civilization's Northern Future by Smith, Laurence
- Voyager: Seeking Newer Worlds in the Third Great Age of Discovery by Pyne, Stephen J.
- Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Roach, Mary
- What Technology Wants by Kelly, Kevin
- Deadly Kingdom: The Book of Dangerous Animals by Grice, Gordon
- Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by French, Thomas
I'm always looking for recommendations and notifications of book lists as they appear in various media outlets. If you see one that I haven't covered, please let me know at jdupuis at yorku dot ca or in the comments.
I am picking up a lot of lists from Largehearted Boy.